Tuesday, May 5, 2015

What to Wear to a Casual Rehearsal Dinner

What to Wear to a Casual Rehearsal Dinner

Via
This weekend, I'm in my cousin's wedding! She is more like a sister than a cousin, and I'm so excited. She was in my mom and stepdad's wedding, that's how close we were growing up! I have my dress for the day of the wedding, but somehow had blanked on the whole night before outfit. I had the perfect dress...and I already wore it to her bridal shower. Of course I'll wear it again, but not for this same series of events.

Via


So my plan is that
some night after work this week I'll stop by the Loft and get a dress. Why Loft? Because there's one next to the grocery store on my way home from work, and it has a parking lot out front. We have way too much going on in our life right now for me to make a long trip anywhere like a mall.

Via

Here are my thoughts when advising clients on what to wear to a rehearsal dinner, and I'll take my own advice!

  • Wear something a little more casual than what you'll wear to (or in) the wedding. Your rehearsal dinner outfit should not outshine what you'll wear the next day. Pick something that feels connected to the wedding's level of casualness (or formality), but don't go too over the top either way.
  •  Wear the most comfortable shoes you can. I find that my feet hurt so much after a wedding, and so I really advise that you take it easy on your feet the night before. Your shoes should be appropriate to your outfit and the setting, but if it's between the heel and the wedge, do the wedge! Between the supportive flat (Dr Scholl's inserts-I'm looking at you!) and the wedge? Do the flat!
  • Check in on a general feeling for the rehearsal dinner so that points one and two above leave you feeling comfortable and dressed for the occasion. Sometimes the details about a rehearsal dinner aren't as clear as they are for the main event, and you don't want to shop up to a lobster boil in a formal dress, for example. Checking in with someone (not the bride) who is close to the person getting married is a good bet.

I like to go with pattern for a special event dress, and I'll look for something that makes a statement. I love a pattern and have far too many plain Jane solid color dresses. Yes, it's memorable. And that, I think, is the point.


Via
With a special dress (or pair of pants, or shorts, or jumpsuit), I'll be able to pack simple shoes and accessories and let the dress do the talking.

Then, I can wear this same dress all summer-to work with a white blazer or on a spring night with a jean jacket.




No comments:

Post a Comment