Friday, December 5, 2014

Deck the Halls:A Few of My Favorite (Easy) Things

Deck the Halls:A Few of My Favorite (Easy) Things



This time of year, I tend to feel just a little bit behind all season long. I have in my mind things that I want to do and make and experience, but sometimes it feels like too much. I thought in case you ever feel that way, I'd put together some of my favorite easy ways to capture the Christmas feeling even if you have done very little to no prep work and even if they happen after a long day. Please help us all out and add any ideas to the comments!

Eat good food. Try this Raw pad thai for nights when all you have are veggies in the fridge and/or you want to eat at least one healthy meal along with all of the candy canes. I'm not strict with this recipe-just use the vegetables that you can find easily.

Celebrate "special nights." What I mean by this is that nearly anything can be a theme. I'm thinking of Breakfast for Dinner night (make eggs and bacon or pancakes), Taco Night (take out included), or Picnic Dinner night (dinner on a blanket in front of the fireplace is always better). Want to make it feel special? Write the name of the night and the menu on a piece of paper. Post it somewhere.

Do free Christmas activities. Drive around and see the Christmas lights and decorations in your neighborhood. Wrap up a neglected coat, toy, or book and drop it off at a toy or clothing drive. Attend a tree lighting ceremony. Go to a church with a great choir and listen. Dance to blasting music. Take a bath and sprinkle peppermint oil in it.

Go on a date. Grab a friend, a spouse, a sibling, or a parent and plan a date night. Simple is best this time of year, I find, and I love things like watching an old Christmas movie. You could also watch a movie and eat something related to that movie like candy for Elf or bagels and cream cheese for Miracle on 34th Street. When in doubt, make my favorite popcorn: top with butter or ghee, sprinkle with lemon zest, and finish with good salt.

I'd love to hear your ideas, too!


Photo Credits
Photography: Lauren Modny Photography
Party Styling:Love Always Hannah
Stylist: StartCloseIn

No comments:

Post a Comment