Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jeans and a T-shirt Up-Styled

Jeans and a T-shirt Up-Styled or Jeans and a T-shirt for Adult Women

Today I'm talking about two of my favorite things: t-shirts and jeans! As my best friends and husband will tell you, I love t-shirts. I may have too many of them, actually, but this isn't about me! Right?

I have many clients, including Miss Mustard Seed, who are creative people who work for themselves and it makes most sense for them to dress casually and comfortably. I also have many clients who are active mothers and grandmothers, and they spend a lot of their time in casual, comfortable clothing, too. But, I think there is a way to be comfortable and wear what is actually (or essentially) a t-shirt and jeans and also reflect your personality and feel more polished. Here's how.

Upgrade Your T-shirts: Choose a Shirt with Embellishments

The things we all love about t-shirts is that they are comfortable, easy, always fit the same way, and feel laid back. Look for those same elements in a shirt that might have some more embellishments, and it will be just as easy to wear as a basic tee.

Via
I love this laser cut from Asos Curve and this structural detail from Asos.   Even something as simple as these little buttons from Garnet Hill can feel special.

Brighten Up Your Bottoms

I love jeans. LOVE THEM! I think it's great to wear them often, but I also think you might consider boosting the color of your bottom piece in place of standard denim. The result is that you can still wear a basic t-shirt (like gray, black, white, navy) and feel comfortable, but your outfit will feel more purposeful, more reflective of your bright personality. And the times that you do wear blue denim will read more like a choice and less like a default. 


Via
If you're not sure if you'll wear them, I recommend buying a cheaper pair of bright pants (like the blogger above who went with H&M) for the first try. I have a pair of chinos from Old Navy from last summer that I think of as my conservative pants (because they're chinos)...they're highlighter yellow, and I loved wearing them with a basic white v-neck.  Places like Gap Outlet, Old Navy, and even Zara or H&M have been going bright with pants lately and would be good places to start if you're hesitant.

Add a Blazer

When I say blazer, don't get nervous! I don't mean something particularly stiff or that could at all be part of a suit. Lately, regular stores like Kohls and Ann Taylor Loft are selling great, structured layering pieces that can easily provide the kind of structure around the shoulders and shape around the middle that you want. Like this one from Ann Taylor Loft for 50% off or this modern beauty from Asos Plus with free shipping both ways! Structured shoulders define where your body is and help draw the attention away from your middle, which enhances a woman's curvy shape. This is also key with t-shirts since they can be somewhat clingy on all of us in the middle! 

Via
Even her incredibly casual outfit (leggings and an oversized white t-shirt with sunglasses) feels more polished with a great blazer. 

Upgrade Your T-shirts: Find Cool Ones

Via
Years ago, you might have felt more comfortable with band t-shirts or strolling into somewhere like Urban Outfitters to buy a cool "vintage feel" t-shirt. That doesn't need to stop. 

Via

The options for fun t-shirts as we get older are more, not fewer! Try Asos, Asos Curve, Anthropologie, Etsy, a local farmer's market, or even shop online at a teeney bopper store like American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, or Torrid! Just order up a size and wear it with ideas from this post so that you don't feel like it reads too young. 

Via Anthropologie
I also love this one in green and, of course, this striped one. I'd also love this cozy vest over a simple long-sleeved t-shirt. Yes, they're more expensive than you might be used to. However, think about the cost-per-wear. If you often wear t-shirts, then you'll get a lot out of them, and it might be worthwhile to spend a little more and have them look like you want and last longer. 

Via

Highlight a Unique Belt

Via
I have clients in places known for belts (I'm looking at you, Texas!) with clients with belts just hanging out in their closets gathering dust. It makes me sad! Bring out those belts, especially on days when you're wearing a casual pair of jeans and a t-shirt. If you just save them for the days where you are dressed up, they might not ever get worn! 


Swap in a ButtonDown

Via
Uh-oh. Did I lose you? I know, up to this point I've just been talking about t-shirts and jeans, literally. However, bear with me. Imagine the shirt above with jeans and flats. It's as comfortable as a t-shirt if the fit is right, but it's more structure, more polished. It would be great with beaten up jeans, actually, because it's so proper. 

Or what about a denim button down? They've been popular for awhile, but still wearable, and very easy to find one that's pretty inexpensive even at places that make them well like JCrew (Outlet or on sale). Here, they put one with a skirt. If you had a comfortable skirt, maybe made out of a soft, t-shirt-like material..., you might not even notice that you were wearing a skirt-it's actually a t-shirt and jeans just flipped! 

Via
Thanks for the interest in this skirt! If you follow the link above by clicking "Via," you'll see it's from Madewell a few years back. Here is a similar one from Asos, a little longer at Zara, higher waist from Ruche,  and larger dots from Lane Bryant, and you can find quite a few from brands like JCrew and Target on Ebay-like this one!

Or, layer the button down over the rest of your outfit. Plaid makes wearing multiple patterns easy-just stick with black and white as one pattern if you're uncomfortable with it at first. Plaid and stripes are fast, easy friends.

Via

Finish it Off with Great Shoes

This season is perfect for boots, of course, so if you're going to be laid back in the rest of your outfit, why not embrace a soft, workhorse of a boot that plays up the ready-for-anything vibe? Here are a few I love-some affordable, some a splurge. 

Via

Via
Via
Keep those style questions comin'! Isn't this fun!




7 comments:

  1. Love this Ella! Can't wait to go through my closet and find cool/casual options. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! looking forward to tonight's virtual time!

      Delete
  2. There isn't a day that I'm not inspired by your posts! Maybe I don't feel so bad today after all! It's dress down Thursday, I'm wearing jeans, a floral button down and a gray blazer. All I needed was a bright necklace and your bright lipstick tip! There. all better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so so glad! See, I'm glad you have me on speed dial...or, speed text! Lipstick always brightens me up!

      Delete
  3. Hey that's my kind of style! Thanks for the ideas!
    PS
    I keep forgetting you have the comment verification enabled - I keep clicking away after I comment and have to come back. Yikes! Let's try this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying again! I keep it on because otherwise I get a lot of spam comments selling us all knock-off handbags...
      I'm glad you liked the ideas!

      Delete
    2. Don't blame you there. Spam is annoying...I just forget lol and have to come back. :)

      Delete