Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Client Question: How Do I Wear a Black Blazer in a Fresh Way?

Client Question: How Do I Wear a Black Blazer in a Fresh Way?

Happy Tuesday! I ended up not going to NYC this weekend. My mom was here to pick up her car, and we were supposed to drive up together, but she got sick! She's on the mend now, nothing serious, but we spent a weekend at my house watching documentaries and eating soup instead. I hope you had a good, relaxing weekend, too! 

Via

One question I often get asked by personal styling clients, readers, and friends is about how to wear basics in a way that feels fresh or different. Even those clients who don't ask me should be asking me. I see women all the time with perfectly good black jackets (whether blazers or top halves of suits) that just aren't being worn enough.

Today's post is about taking a basic that you may already own out for a spin in a new way. It's about getting that black jacket out of the closet!


Via
First, what if you added your black jacket to an outfit that feels really casual? I'd love to see you wear it with something like the outfit above. What about wearing a pair of cropped pants, casual shoes (or boots), and a casual tshirt, then adding the jacket to the top of it all? Worn this way, you're sort of treating the black blazer like a black motorcycle jacket while at the same time putting on what's really a deconstructed suit. I'd really love it if the pants weren't black at all but maybe black with polka dots? I have a pair that would be fun from Old Navy, but you can find them everywhere this season.

Or, take it one step more casual and pair this jacket-tshirt combination with jeans. Here's the maternity version.

Via
This is brilliant for maternity, actually, since many women find they can wear the same size jacket even as the belly grows. I love the look of a long, slightly '70s necklace with this combination, too, like this:

Via
Or, try a neutral pant that's not black. Below, the jacket is gray and the pants are dark. But, what if you had the pants be gray (or another neutral) and wore your basic black jacket? Note the casual t-shirt and long necklace again!

Via
Or, as in the first image of this post, when in doubt? Wear stripes. That's pretty much my life motto so...yeah. It works with a black jacket, too!

Via
And while black and brown can ABSOLUTELY go together (they're both neutrals), it does bug me a little bit how matchy-matchy the belt and the bag are. In real life, they wouldn't be held up next to each other, but I'd really prefer two browns that did not match or a different color or neutral bag or belt. It would just look less like a belt-bag set that you bought together or something. This is a cute version of this outfit for summer.

If you're in the market for a black blazer that fits you well, I like this peplum style or this incredibly flattering slim cut one for the $90 range, this incredible faux leather trim around $60 from Torrid or Torrid's incredibly flattering zipper style here. I look for a jacket that doesn't button or just has one button for a modern look; I look for zippers or leather or a tuxedo vibe; I look for peplum or high pockets or anything that will raise the waistline up to your natural waist since that's the most flattering. If you're looking for less expensive options, they are out there in droves!

I recommend looking at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. since they often have lots of jackets. Wear jeans and a casual tshirt so you can try them on with an outfit you'd really wear the jacket with.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella
    I have to disagree on the last image. The belt and bag matching looks really polished to me. But you have reminded me of my black jacket. It's a textured knit, almost a cardigan fabric but jacket cut and fit. It's from what would be the equivalent of Walmart or Target but fits great and washes well. I'll have to dig it out and chuck it over some jeans. I've got some navy polka dot Capri pants it might be cute with in summer. How do you feel about black and navy together?

    ReplyDelete