Thursday, May 22, 2014

What to Wear to Meet Birth Mothers

What to Wear to Meet Birth Mothers

I'm at the beach distinctly not thinking about fertility appointments or the ups and downs of the adoption process, but I thought I'd continue to talk with you about it here. When we went to our first birth mother meeting, we were incredibly nervous. One thing that really stressed me out what was to wear. It seems like a silly thing in the grand scheme of what is actually going on, but I think I fixated on it for that very reason. Here's what I decided. 

Via

Dress like you're going to spend the day babysitting a child the age of the child you want to adopt. I almost wrote "dress like yourself," but that's just obnoxious. At the time, I would have thought "well, who I am is not who I will be, exactly, when/if we do adopt. So which version of myself, huh?" Instead, imagine what you'd wear to spend the day with a child the age of the birth mother (or expectant mother, if you're hoping to adopt a newborn that's not born yet)'s child.

Why as though you're babysitting? Because that will up your style a little bit. If you imagine staying home with your child, it might look like PJs or yoga pants, or very casual jeans.

Via
While an outfit like the one above might be very comfortable, it's not what I'd recommend for this situation. Instead, focus on an outfit that looks put together while also comfortable enough to show that you could get down on the floor with a child and not fret about your dryclean only, pure white outfit. Unless, of course, you're someone who always wears heels. In that case, be yourself.

Specifically, wear something comfortable that you won't be fidgeting with and that isn't revealing. 

Via
She looks like this outfit is something she's worn many times (maybe minus the shoes?), which is the goal. Pick something you'll wear again. 

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear your suggestions! Ok, back to the beach I go!

2 comments:

  1. I agree-nothing too causal but not too dressy either. Comfortable as you said - you're nervous enough without worrying about clothes.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being so stressed about that also! This is good advice and I think you're right that since so much else of the adoption process is out of your hands, making a good first impression becomes that much more important because it's one of the few things you can directly influence! I still remember what I wore and it's going on five years ago! :)

    ReplyDelete