Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Gluten Free Guide to Northern Virginia: Historic Leesburg

Gluten Free Guide to Northern Virginia: Historic Leesburg

Before I moved to Northern Virginia, I had no concept of what it was like. Scratch that, I had some negative ideas about what it was like. At best, it was provincial. At worst, backwards. I know, I know. These were my own perceptions of what it meant to be in Virginia, and I've been proven wrong about them more times than I've been proven right. One of my favorite things since we moved here has been setting out to see what's out there-beyond the pull to Washington, DC.


This weekend, I struck out on my own toward the Leesburg Outlets in search of pants for work. On past trips, I've resigned myself to the slim pickings of food in the area around the outlets during lunchtime, but this trip I decided to go earlier than usual to avoid the Columbus Day crowds. I took a detour to find some gluten free breakfast in Historic Leesburg.


And there across the street from a statue of a Confederate soldier in a town named for an infamous general, I found a little quirky, hippie spot. What I found was Shoes, Cup, and Cork, and they had delicious gluten free breakfast options!  And almond milk! Specifically, I had the maple walnut Kind healthy grains with almond milk instead of yogurt with a large tea. I can't wait to go back here and sit outside when the weather warms back up again in the spring.





I also can't wait to try out the gluten free options at Palio. See that down there? It says gluten free pasta available upon request! That will be a nice treat after a few months of eating clean.





And if nothing else, come to Leesburg to look at all of the beautiful historic buildings and go shopping for antiques!


 I'll meet you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment