Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How to Highlight Parts of Your Body that are Not Your Middle

How to Highlight Parts of Your Body that are Not Your Middle

Via
In March, when I went back to work after dealing with the after effects of having a kidney stone removed and a temporary stent, I was surprised to realize that none of my pants could close over my swollen belly. So I thought it was about time to write about what to wear when you'd like to draw the attention away from your middle section.  I wrote about it a little, and now I'd like to update my suggestions for the fall and winter.

It might be that you've had surgery, gained a little weight, just had a baby, are newly pregnant and don't want people to know (congrats!!), or maybe (like me!) you just tend to carry weight there. Here are some of my favorite ways to highlight other parts of my body and feel more comfortable with how my stomach looks (and feels) in clothes (because most of us can't wear PJ pants to work, and PJs to the supermarket starts to look crazy after a few times).





Wear a jacket or a vest. Whether a blazer, a jean jacket, or a military-style vest, wearing a jacket provides structure while also allowing you to wear something looser on the inside where you need it.  Using a blazer or jacket like this can let you wear a v-neck and show off a pretty collarbone or skinny jeans to distract from the belly (if your skinny jeans are comfortable).

Via

Via
Via

Via

Via
Via

Wear something more fitted on the bottom. I have a favorite new pair of (hunter orange!) pants from The Gap that are skinny but sit nice and low, which I recommend if you're feeling tender or puffy.


Here I am wearing them with a plaid shirt, which provides plenty of structure and draws the attention away from my midsection when I'm feeling off.  I know I'll get pregnancy questions on this post-and I have to say that I'm not pregnant. But, I have a lot of food issues (gluten free, dairy free...) so my stomach tends to get really tender more often than I'd like. I've become an expert at hiding what looks like a pregnant tummy but is just bloating!


Via


Consider a skirt. When you feel bloated, your last impulse might be to reach for a skirt, but they can be far more versatile than pants. Try pulling a skirt up more than you might normally and adding a belt or tucking in a shirt. The extra volume can help hide your tummy while the skirt part shows off your legs. Doesn't her waist look tiny here? I love how high up she's wearing that skirt. It's just gorgeous!

Via

Wear a dress. Again, while you might not be up for a dress at first, a dress can hide some of the same things as a skirt while also helping lift your mood. Others perceive that you feel good about yourself in a dress, too, which is good when you don't feel so great. Adding a cardigan, tights, and boots can make even a summer dress work in this season's chillier weather.

Check out this blogger's cute jacket with this dress, too!
You might even consider wearing pants under your dress!  Not only is this a really cute look, it allows you to wear a pair of pants or leggings that supports your stomach and feels nice and tucked in. As a Vermonter, I know all about layering so trust me here. This would be fun with a cute pair of sneakers or boots.

Via


Wear a loose top. I know that this one is kind of a "duh" suggestion, but I point it out more for this: when you look at the woman below, you don't think "she's trying to cover up her belly." You notice that she looks cute and stylish. When you're feeling pressure or bloating or whatever, you automatically stare at that area when you get dressed and assume that everyone else is doing the same. They're not.

Via
Via

By the way, a few of you have asked me about my favorite skinny jeans or leggings. My favorite skinny pants (they're more of a cotton feel) are the orange above from The Gap (I also own them in gray...), but since it's almost Christmas let's talk about wish lists. From least to most expensive, I would love to own these crazy sequined ones from H&M, these velvet pants from Banana, and these $200 crazy party pants!

Oh, and take a look at what sweet things a reader and client had to say about me. I can't wait to work with her! Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Not only are these great tips (from someone who also has a tender tummy), but I love that you used pictures of models of all different ages and sizes. So refreshing and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SessJess! I'm constantly amazed by the women around me-of all shapes, sizes, and ages!

      Delete