Monday, November 4, 2013

Comfortable, Flattering Sweaters

Two Types of Comfortable, Flattering Sweaters

What a weekend! I've had many readers contact me about scheduling personal styling sessions-both in person and virtually. I'm thrilled to have interest and hope that my new readers will stick around! After Friday's incredible session with Marian AKA Miss Mustard Seed, I also had the joy of spending a few hours styling my friend, Lauren. We had previously done a virtual session, and this weekend we spent time in person together. I can't wait to show you the pictures later this week!

Let's talk about cold weather style. With the weather getting chilly, I can feel myself going a bit into hibernation, are you? All I want to wear are layers, layers, and more layers. At home, I just put on one layer after the next (yoga pants, socks, slippers, long-sleeved t-shirt, hoodie or cardigan) but when I go to work or to get tea with a friend, I want to wear something that's still comfortable but is more flattering. Here are a few items that I think could make the transition from warm and cozy to slightly more dressed up. Maybe you already have something like this in your closet?

A drape-front cardigan 

I love this first one from Eileen Fisher, including how it's styled with the t-shirt and harem pants for a casual look. With a warmer shoe, I'd wear this exact outfit to the farmer's market or for a casual outing. For a more polished feel, swap out the pants for trousers that you like and maybe a brighter, more structure top. Below, find two less expensive versions of the same concept.


Via

The green on green with slightly different shades is gorgeous and definitely more polished.  I wouldn't do the matching gold earrings and necklace and bracelet, though. I like how the necklace breaks up the all green, or you could have a necklace that's higher up. For chillier weather, I'd add a scarf with a pattern that compliments the green.

Via


Via


Here's a good knock-off from Target

A sweater with its own visual interest. 

I love a sweater or shirt that already comes with some sort of visual interest. To me, layering is a way to show that you've thought about what you're wearing together and that you're confident in what you've chosen. A great sweater with something unique going on is like a great dress: it does the work for you. All you need to do is pair it with a basic pant or skirt and you're ready to go!

If you're less comfortable with how low this neck is, try a tank top underneath, even one with a built-in bra. Experiment with tucking the tank into your pants or letting it show underneath as another layer. Jockey makes my favorite tank tops: the straps are wide enough for many bras, they're soft, they're a good medium length, and they come in multiple colors.

Via
Via
A peplum is another great shape that's already more interesting than a typical sweater. As my mother pointed out to me today, sometimes women are hesitant to try this shape because they're not sure if it will be too clingy or hit in the wrong place, but they can actually be a great shape for many women. Try on a few and in different sizes to see if one suits you.

Via

I love a good long sweater. This particular one looks like something I could wear every night and weekend. I love the v-neck and the long length ending in another V. It's maybe a little casual for an office setting, but you could absolutely get away with it to a more creative work environment or socially. This sweater with leggings would be comfortable to travel in, too!

Oh! I got a few questions about other blogs that I like, specifically for women over 50, and I've updated my blog list to the right under Inspiration. If you know of others that I should check out or you'd like to share with my other readers, please feel free to mention it in the comments!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I am totally in love with the transformations you are doing! I have blogged for many years, and as an over fifty cool girl who loves clothes, I would invite you to check out my blog!
    As much as I love to sew and love fashion, I still have a hard time identifying a personal style for me! I feel like I'm all over the place and always wonder if that's just okay to be that way...changeable depending on my mood or the day of the week!
    wonderfullymade1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing! Your blog is great! I'd love to give away one of your pieces on my blog if you're ever interested!

      Delete