Thursday, June 5, 2014

Etsy Made Me Do It: Five Maxi Dresses Under $80

Etsy Made Me Do It: Five Maxi Dresses Under $80

This week is mostly about great finds I've made recently while virtual shopping for you all. I hurt my ribs very badly this past weekend when I ran straight into a (triathlete) friend of mine during my husband's kickball birthday party. Let me tell you what-bruised ribs are not fun! Nor do they heal overnight.

That being said, you likely know by know that Etsy is one of my favorite places to window shop. I often come across pieces of clothing that I would love to wear or to dress you in. Some of my readers and clients are talented seamstresses, too, and so I often imagine how your take on one of these would look!

What I love in a great maxi dress is that it wears like a nightgown (read: soft) but feels more glamorous than shorts and a t-shirt or any other summer uniform. Here are a few Etsy favorites.

Kaftan, $39.99
Tank Dress, $30

The tank dress above ($52) with that incredible chevron sequin panel would be incredible worn to a summer wedding, don't you think?  And the unique shape below caught my eye, but the rest of this seller's dresses are incredible, too.
Kaftan $78
Navy Blue Maxi, $59
As far as styling a long dress, I have a few go-to styling tips. First, wear long jewelry that mimics the length of the dress. A long necklace helps you look long and lean, while long earrings lengthen the neck and add to the inherently boho feel of a maxi dress. If your arms are exposed, wear a bracelet or cuff that commands some attention. Otherwise, the great thing about a maxi dress is that it's a statement itself-don't feel obligated to dress it up too much.

People always ask me about shoes and maxi dresses. I tend to wear flats (sandals this time of year or boots during the colder months) or maybe wedges. I know that some women can successfully walk in a long dress and heels-I'm just not one of them!

Via ModCloth

If it's still chilly at night in your neck of the woods, bring along a pashmina to wear over your shoulders or layer on a jean or moto jacket or even a blazer.


No comments:

Post a Comment