Wednesday, September 17, 2014

One White Button Down, Three Ways

One White Button Down, Three Ways

Lately all I seem to want to wear is black and white. Not in a creepy Kris Jenner way, but it seems to be what I gravitate toward. Lately I'm particularly excited about crisp white button downs. They have to be soft, cover the butt, and not show a bra underneath. I like the thicker ones like men wear but that are harder to find for women sometimes.

Here are three ways I suggest you wear a  basic white button down (upper left) this fall.


Under a dress like a jumper. It's amazing how different a dress can look with a shirt underneath it. I've loved this look before with a collar shirt, but I thought it also worked well with a collarless. If you like this look but aren't sure what shirt/dress combinations to use or what shoes to wear it with, look at Boden for styling inspiration. You'll see this idea also works well with a basic long-sleeved tshirt. I think this combination is dying for a bold necklace or a skinny belt around the waist, tights when the weather turns, and a low brown bootie or knee high boots.

Under a stiff sleeveless shirt. I was playing around with the textures so the bottom two shirts look fairly similar; however, the bottom left is quite stiff. Using a stiff sleeveless shirt over a button down is a great way to wear it beyond the summer and show off a fun texture or embellished neck. I'd love something like this Boden sleeveless top over a basic button down with so-called "cigarette pants" like these from TopShop, these from Lane Bryant, or these from Asos. Add shiny tie up shoes or leopard print flats, and you're done.

Under a flowy lace shirt. This is the opposite end of the spectrum, but it still works and may be a way to wear lace to work without looking too casual or too sexy. It's also a way to take a shirt (like this) that you might already own that reads as very sweet or slightly Western and make it a little more preppy.  On the flip side, it also adds a boho feel to an otherwise stiff shirt.



3 comments:

  1. I like black and white too. Interesting to put a shirt underneath a sleeveless dress. Never thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! That's one of my favorite tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if the lace top was off white would that look ok? I really like that look!

    ReplyDelete