Thursday, April 10, 2014

Take Cover! How to Go All Summer Without Baring Your Arms

Take Cover! How to Go All Summer Without Baring Your Arms

Phew! Yesterday was the most personal thing I've ever posted here. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for us and for those two babies as they make their way into whatever life the Universe chooses for them. Let's get back to something lighter today, shall we? Let's talk about ARMS!

Last week, a client and dear friend commented that she needed help getting through the hot Texas summer without showing her arms.  Then, a colleague friend confided in me that she, too, prefers not to show her arms and has always struggled with keeping them covered during the summer.  I also have a few Mormon clients who I know work very hard to keep their arms covered and still stay cool-and current-in the hot weather. It seems that this is a topic that's ripe to tackle! Here are my ideas for how to go all summer without baring your arms.

Dress it Up

Why does it seem like dresses with sleeves that don't cost an arm and a leg (pun intended) are the holy grail? I have had several requests from clients for them, and they've put even my research skills to the test!

Via Torrid

For sizes 12-28, Torrid has some real deals on dresses with sleeves. I love the polka dots above-and it has pockets! Talk about the holy grail! If you're looking to cover your arms at a fancier event, try this one. I love the party it's got goin' in the back!



Ann Taylor has some good ones, although they're not cheap. I like this one, but that fabric looks pretty unforgiving on anyone with lower tummy weight. If you have to wear shapewear, it becomes a work-only dress and is not an acceptable summer dress, in my opinion.


For additional less expensive options, Kohls has a some nice dresses with sleeves, including this printed one, and this one. I wish this were in lighter colors because that twist front is so flattering! And for a more athletic look, there's nothing wrong with wearing what is essentially a big old shirt.

I know, I know. You're aware of my love affair with Boden so I'm not going to mention their dresses (this one! No, wait! This one!) even though a bunch of them are on sale (ok just this last one!)

Turn to Summer Sweaters


Via Target
If the top part of your arm is the part you'd rather not show, you have many more options. Consider a light sweater for the spring that can also be worn into the summer. For example, this llama sweater is very light and quite casual so it would be best for a weekend or very casual work environment. Try it with shorts (what about a mint green or magenta?), skinny jeans (JCrew Matchstick in white is a favorite of mine) or over a maxi dress? I'd love this llama number over a gray maxi skirt or dress with long silver earrings. This sweater also comes in a bike motif, but it's not nearly as saturated as it looks in the picture, and the llama is my personal pick.

For something similarly casual, try Modcloth. I'm pretty into the back detail on this Beach Market Cardigan and the lace detail on this Textbook Cardigan.

Button Down

I notice a few things about women who wear button downs well in the summer, and I see them here. And no, you don't have to keep the top 8 buttons unbuttoned. That must be a new JCrew thing they're trying to start up...

Via JCrew


Via JCrew


The bottoms are distinctly summery, the tops aren't too long (tucked in casually or tied up), and they're keeping cool with rolled up sleeves. Also, the shirts themselves are natural fibers (linen and cotton denim, respectively). That's important! I could put all sorts of sheer tops but here, but that polyester will sweat like nobody's business the first time it really gets hot. No, thank you!

Want more ideas? Email me with your questions, and I'll be happy to respond or even set up a Pinterest board of ideas for you.


 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not big on arm-showing either and my chambray button down over a maxi dress is a life saver! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad! I love a good chambray combo!

      Delete
  2. I am LOVING this!! I wish I knew why I have such an aversion to my arms showing- partly because they are not toned, and I freeze everywhere I go! Thank you for the post and link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that about living in Texas-the AC is blasting everywhere you go!!

      Delete