Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Make Mad Men Modern: A Loft Skirt Preview

Make Mad Men Modern: A Loft Skirt Preview

Those of you who follow me on Instagram may have seen the striped linen skirt that I got yesterday  at Loft during my lunch hour (for 40% off!). Tomorrow I'll be answering a friend's question about how to wear a "Mad Men" look without feeling too costume-y. While putting together options for how to wear this skirt on Tuesday, I realized that I was putting some of my tips for a modern Mad Men into action.

Sorry for the bathroom selfies-my husband was still working last night and unavailable to take photos of me. 


At first, I imagined that the tomato red cardigan on top would be the perfect fit with the nautical striped skirt. I got that cardigan around Christmas, and in my mind it's been stuck as a winter sweater. I wanted a way to bring it into spring, and my office was freezing today so I thought it could work. However, it felt too much like a literal interpretation of a vintage look for my preferences.

On the other hand, the bright chartreuse cardigan on the bottom did just what I wanted: the full, high-waisted skirt is a nod to vintage but feels modern with a v-neck t-shirt and unexpected color. Oh-and I also put on a better bra for the bottom shot since the one I was wearing on top was feeling a bit droopy. I didn't go for the pointed Mad Men style, though, since that should be saved for Halloween only!

What do you think? I can't wait to show off some modern Mad Men looks later this week!

  

4 comments:

  1. I like! I need a skirt! Help? :)
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look on you Ella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! You are a full skirt guru yourself!

      Delete