Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Would You Wear Overalls (again)?

Would You Wear Overalls (again)?

The other day, as I strolled through the Juniors section of Target, I was hit head-on with an ironic situation. I was looking for a retro-inspired dress with a full skirt and small repetitive pattern. Ideally, 1950s-inspired. I even sent my mom a photo of a dress that was so frumpy it made us both cringe. Oh, the irony, then, when I came face-to-face with the late 90s. Stone-washed denim, midriffs, and bared shoulders. "Nooooooooooo!" I wanted to shake every teenager I saw with a grunge-y flannel tied around her waist, "Don't do it!"

But then, this week I was reminded of one of the most comfortable things about that time period: overalls. Yes, bending over in them was uncomfortable, and they're certainly not right for every shape, but do you remember how comfortable they were? And, more importantly, would you wear them again?

All links here
Like the first time around (or maybe the third?), they look best with not much underneath. The newer fit is tapered in the leg or rolled up, but you can skip the awkward platform sandals on the left: just stick with the same Converse we wore the first couple times around and what the heck, might want to try them out with a flannel while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment