Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Q&A: How to use a scarf to make your outfits more interesting

Q&A: How can I use a scarf to make my outfits more interesting?

I was asked this question during a client lunch the other day, and I think it's a great one! As you can see from my personal pictures above, I love a good scarf! In fact, I have somewhat of a scarf problem. I love the feel of them around my neck, I think they work in all situations below 70 degrees, and I can't say enough good things about them. 

What I have noticed is that women are sometimes confused about how and why to wear them. Here are some suggestions because once you start wearing scarves you may never stop.


Choose a scarf that picks up on a color from your outfit. 

Above, each woman chose a scarf that echoes something in their outfit (or maybe they built the outfit around the scarf, also great!): the stripes in the scarf are not the same color as the shirt's stripes, but the repetition makes the choice really work; the brown scarf and brown sleeves work nicely when broken up with black and echoed in the brown bag; the blue in the scarf and the turquoise necklace seem made for each other without being too matchy-matchy. The key is that the colors do not need to match exactly-in fact, it's more interesting if they don't.

Use a scarf to create visual contrast.

Any bright color will go well with a neutral, like the gray above, but neutral stripes also work with neutral clothes (above right). I also love adding a plaid that picks up on the neutral colors of the outfit because it ties the look together. Keiko Lynn is a blogger worth following for many reasons-including her way with scarves. 

Or stay neutral-but choose a rich texture.


Wear it on your head.

Wearing a scarf on your head is fun on the weekends, to the beach, or anytime you walk a runway. I love the graphic black and whites on each of these because they're more modern than a floral print would be. 

Want more inspiration?

Visit my Pinterest for how to make this DIY shawl vest and Ten Ways to Make a Scarf into a Vest-and more.

I'd love to see how you wear a scarf-email me anytime!

P.S. Have you seen this video of 25 ways to wear a scarf in 4.5 minutes? Love it. 

Check out the Infinity at 1:00 to turn your scarves into infinity scarves without any sewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment